US US-IaGG Archives/RG-CD
Name and location of repository
Level of description
RG-CD: Career Development Office
Name of creator
Historical Note: As early as the 1860's when Professor Leonard Parker, in his capacity as county superintendent of schools, assisted students in finding teaching positions, faculty and administrators were involved in guiding students in finding employment, until the mid 1920's primarily teacher placement. The Appointments Bureau is first listed in the 1921 College Catalog and offered assistance to undergraduates as well as alumni in securing employment and promotions. For more on the pre-1930 period see Shelton Beatty, History of Grinnell College and its Curriculum to 1930, pgs. 497-504 (College Archives 06.01/B38h).
From the mid 1920s the office gradually added services, including guidance testing, advising on employment opportunities, assistance with securing employment in business and industry, in securing summer employment. In large part the expanded responsibilities were made possible by grants from J. C. Penney Foundation, which donated to the college $3000-$5000 per year, 1926-31, to establish a formal vocation guidance program with a director, secretary, and office equipment. The grant allowed the college to hire Mitchell Dreese as the first professionally trained, full-time, vocational guidance director, a position he held 1929-31. See RG-A/Main/Box 3/ J.C.Penney for more details.
<p style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; color: black; font-size: 12px; margin-top: 3px; margin-bottom: 3px; "> Over the years the office has had a variety of names: Appointments Bureau, Department of Personnel, Placement Office, Career Services Office (ca. 1971), Career Development Office.
Prior to 1970 placement was combined with other administrative or faculty functions. In the period 1970-74 the Dean of Student Affairs directed the office, Resident Advisers staffed it on a part-time basis, student usage grew. In 1974 John Adams was appointed as full-time Director of Career Services; Resident Advisers continued part-time staffing. The office established regular hours and expanded its services; student use continued to grow.
Now known as the Center for Careers, Life, and Service (CLS).
John Adams 1974-78
Debra Stuart 1978-81
Linda Johnsrud 1981-85
Marilyn Kurtz 1985-93
Steven Langerud 1993- 2006
Kathleen Powell 2007-2009
Mike Caldwell, Acting Director, 2009-2010
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Some files are confidential and closed for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Papers in the Archives were transferred from Career Development Office over a period 1985-94, and include primarily records 1970-89, plus student employment dossiers ca. 1925-50.
Immediate source of acquisition