Showing 23 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Grinnell College -- President's Committee for a Stronger Minority Presence
Print preview View:

Dorothy S. Palmer Papers 1989-1993

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.177
  • Collection

Materials contained in this collection are laregly related to the President's Committee for a Stronger Minority Presence (PCSMP). Also included are eleven undated photographs.

Palmer, Dorothy S.

Florence Stewart and Robert Kerr Papers 1917-1963 1937-1948

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.24
  • Collection

The collection contains an oral interview with Florence Kerr; photographs, personal correspondence (notably with President and Mrs. Roosevelt), and other items unrelated to her business life; correspondence and other materials relating to her defense activities in 1941; and materials from two productions of the Federal Theater Project.

The bulk of the collection contains correspondence, memos, and reports from her tenure with the Work Projects Administration and includes numerous WPA publications.  There are two photograph albums and ten scrapbooks of newspaper clippings regarding her WPA activities.

Also included is correspondence of her husband, Robert Y. Kerr.

Florence Stewart Kerr (Class of 1912)

George Drake Family Papers 1861-2000

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.30
  • Collection

President George Drake and his brother, Professor Richard Drake of Berea College, donated family papers to Grinnell College Archives January 1991.  The bulk of the material is from their father, George Bryant Drake. It consists of correspondence, notes for sermons, family financial and business records, clippings, photographs, ca. 1920s-80s.  One box contains writings of Richard Drake, one box correspondence and writings of George Drake and family, one box papers of Alberta Drake, a box of Nell Drake's writings and publications.

George Bryant Drake (1895-1979) was a Congregational Minister and President of Doane College in Nebraska. He and his wife, Alberta Stimson Drake, had three children: George Albert Drake (1934-), professor and President of Grinnell College; Richard Bryant Drake (1925-), professor at Berea College; and Alberta Jane Drake (1928-). George Bryant was called Bryant; his parents were Nellie Jennie Rice Drake and George Burton Drake.

George M. Ochs (Class of 1949) Papers 1960-1995

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.45
  • Collection

The collection contains articles and book reviews by Ochs, personal and professional correspondence, and a copy of his Ph.D. thesis.

Ochs, George M.

Grinnell – Chapin Genealogical Material

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.05
  • Collection

The collection consists of genealogical charts 1480 0 1919.  Correspondence ca. 1898-1908, 32 portraits, some unidentified, copies of cemetery inscriptions, Family Association publications for the Chapin (4 books, 1862, 1908, 1908, 1927) and Alden (1 book, 1916) families, sixty Chapin family deeds and documents from Massachusetts 1674-1851, and a 114-page handwritten notebook by E. F. G. of Stockbridge, 1848, family history of Chapin ancestors Dudley, Woodbridge, Jones, and Eliot.

The papers have detailed information about a few branches of the family, little or no information on other branches.  The researcher might consult U.S. Library of Congress, Genealogies in the Library of Congress to identify more complete sources.

Genealogical charts in this collection trace part of the Grinnell family from Pierre Grenelle, born about 1480 in France. A descendant, Matthew, born 1602, became a Protestant and moved to Newport, R.I., in 1630, beginning the American line of the family. Matthew’s son married a granddaughter of John and Priscilla Alden. Other charts trace various branches of the Chapin family from about 1576 to Mary Grinnell’s birth about 1857.

Grinnell, Josiah Bushnell

I. B. Mc.  Iowa Territory Description. -1846

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.56
  • Collection

Consists of one letter from I. B. Mc., Mexico, Missouri, to Dr. C. Blish, Hampton, Pennsylvania describing the Iowa Territory.  Written before 1846.

James Langdon Hill Papers 1715-1928

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.43
  • Collection

This may be an autograph collection of Hill’s; or it may be a collection of historical items collected by various persons. In the collection is a notebook that has one poem written in it; letters and correspondence of Hill’s were found in the notebook.

Items in the large scrapbook may be part of his collection because one of the autographs mentioned in Hill’s letter in the Correspondence file was in the scrapbook. There were other letters in the scrapbook that indicate that some of the items were from different sources and were collected for a type of historical collection. There is a note attached to two, 1840 receipts: “Professor Spencer: Do you have charge of a collection such as these? / E. L. Long” and a letter to Rev. Parker from Lyman Whiting that was enclosed with some historical items: “...[they] have a bit of history in them which leads me to send them to you to dispose of as you think best. If worth keeping in the museum, please put them there; if fit only to be burned, let that be their fate.” Items from the scrapbook that seemed to have a different provenance were put into file folders.

Hill, James Langdon (Class of 1871)

RG-AL:  Alumni Office Records

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-AL
  • Collection

Historical Note: The office has had various names:

Public Relations Office 1962-1967 and 1985-2001;

College Relations Office 1970-85;

Information Services ?-1962 and 1967-1970;

Office of Communication and Events 2001-2005

Office of College and Alumni Relations 2005-

Office of Development and Alumni Relations 2015 (?)-

History & Background of the Office:
Perhaps the first donation to Grinnell College was in 1846 when J.J. Hill, one of the Iowa Band, made the gift of a silver dollar to challenge his colleagues to endow the College. Since that time, the College has been almost continually involved with fund-raising campaigns. In 1897 a Semi-Centennial Fund was established for enlarging the campus and for adding to the endowment. Four groups were targeted: alumni, trustees, faculty; citizens of Grinnell; Congregationalists of Iowa; and friends of education everywhere. Solicitations were sent out from the Semi-Centennial Committee.
In 1913 the Grinnell College Foundation was established to work with the Trustees of the College to manage and sell real estate, principally farm lands, given to the college under annuity plans. The Foundation financed men's and women's dormitories built in the second decade of the twentieth century. The College also had a number of endowment campaigns after the turn of the century. During the first half of the century, the College Treasurer and Business Officers were involved with development efforts, especially Louis V. Phelps (1915-49) and Charles Kaufman (1948-66). The fund-raising activities of the College were run by the administration, especially the President, and the Trustees for many years. In the late 1950s President Bowen hired the fund-raising counselling firm of Marts & Lundy to study the feasibility of raising substantial funds to meet the ongoing needs of the College. Then early in the 1960s, with the assistance of a matching grant from the Ford Foundation, the College hired its first, senior, fund-raising officer, John McFarland. From that time until 2005, development activities have been run from the Development Office. In 2005, the Development Office, the Alumni Office, and the Office of
Communications and Events were combined under one Vice-President for College and Alumni Relations.

Development Officers:
1963-65 John R. McFarland, Jr. Vice President for Development 1966-66 Russell W. Fridely Vice President for Planning and Development 1966-71 James O. Avison Director of Development 1971-73 James O. Avison Vice President for Resources Planning 1973-76 James O. Avison Vice President for Institutional Development 1976-80 David L. Murphy Vice President for Development 1980-82 Richard T. Jenkins Vice President for Development 1982-92 Thomas K. Marshall Vice President for Development 1992-93 Michael S. Bever Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1994-96 E. Kevin Cornell Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1996-2001 Angela Voos Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 2001 - 2005 Todd A. Reding Vice President for Alumnit Relations and Development, 2005 - 2010 Mickey Munley, Vice President for College and Alumni Relations

RG-CH: Chaplain's Office 1960-2009

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-CH
  • Collection

The bulk of the materials are from Dennis Haas' tenure as chaplain with a few records from Roger Lee Eldridge's time. The files are generally in alphabetical order and contain chapel bulletins, budgets, and programs/speakers; files of college committees on which Haas served; files of liaison committees between the town and the college; numerous records of the Inner-City work study/seminar project from 1965-71; and historical information about Herrick Chapel and the people who used it.

In addition to attending to the religious needs of the college students, Grinnell College chaplains have been intimately and actively involved with social issues. Included in the collection are materials relating to Black students on the Grinnell campus, conscientious objectors and men seeking to avoid the draft, and an off-campus student coffeehouse. The Inner-City project may be an early example of Grinnell students caring for people less privileged than they and attempting to both learn about them and to assist them, much as students of the 1990s have participated in the I Have a Dream and the Alternative Break programs.

Grinnell College has had an active chapel program since the college began. In more modern times there was a dean of the chapel who functioned as chaplain. Winston L. King, also a professor of philosophy and religion, served from 1949-1962 and Howard Burkle, a professor of religion, was acting dean from 1958-60. In October 1963 Roger Lee Eldridge was installed as the first college chaplain, and he was succeeded in 1966 by Dennis Haas who served in that capacity until 1996. Both Eldridge and Haas were professors of religious studies. Deanna Shorb became chaplain upon Haas' retirement. Currently the Chaplain's Office is within the Office of Student Affairs; earlier in Mr. Haas' tenure it was independent and the chaplain reported to the president

RG-CSC: Community Service Center 1988-1996

  • US US-store Archives/RG-CSC
  • Collection

Office Files contains applications to ACTION, progress reports, correspondence, and budgets. In addition are program evaluations, the CSC newsletter (Bridges), and public relations' materials. Program Files contains files on each program or agency with which student volunteers worked. There are lists of volunteers, correspondence, clippings and public relations materials, and information about the program or agency. The CSC received a great deal of recognition for student involvement with Alternative Breaks in which students worked on service activities instead of taking vacations. Some statistical information regarding student volunteerism can be found in the "Class projects" file.

Community Service Center

RG-D: Dean's Office Records 1969-1996

  • US US-store Archives/RG-D
  • Collection

Papers and administrative materials documenting the work of the Office of the Dean.  Some materials may be confidential and not available for research.

There has been a person serving in the capacity of Dean of the Faculty/College since 1944. The exact titles changed over the years and the duties varied, but essentially these persons served similar functions.

In the 1958 North Central Association report to the College, the Dean of the College was responsible for being the academic assistant to the President and the person to assume leadership in the absence of the President.

In 1968 the Dean was described as the person who cooperates with the President in the administration of the academic affairs of the College; who advises the President on academic and other matters; and who represents the President in his/her absence unless an Acting President had been appointed by the Trustees. The Dean also served as Chair of the Faculty Committee on Academic Standing, Chair of the Faculty committee on Admissions and Student Aid, and as a member of the Faculty Executive Council. (From the 1968 NCA report).

When the College was seeking a new Dean of the Faculty in 1980, the principal responsibilities of the Dean were to provide leadership in working with the President and the Faculty in areas of curriculum, faculty development, and maintenance of the quality of the academic profram. (From job description located in RG-F Series 3).

Following is a list of persons in this position with their exact titles, dates, and in parentheses, the name(s) of the president(s) under whom they served.

Earl D. Strong, Dean, 1944-1951 (Stevens)

Max Fuller, Dean of the College, 1951-1954 (Stevens)

R. Homer Norton, Acting Dean of the College, 1954-1956; Dean of the College, 1956-1960 (Hawk, Bowen)

James H. Stauss, Dean of the College, 1960-1966; Provost and Dean of the College, 1966-1969 (Bowen, Leggett)

Joseph F. Wall, Dean of the college, 1969-1973 (Leggett)

Waldo S. Walker, Executive Vice President and Dean of the College, 1973-1977; Provost and Dean of the College, 1977-1980 (Leggett, Turner)

Catherine Frazer, Dean of the Faculty, 1980-1987 (Turner, Drake)

Charles L. Duke, Dean of the Faculty, 1987-1988; Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty, 1988-1992; Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College, 1992-1997 (Drake, Ferguson)

James Swartz, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College, 1998-2008 (Ferguson, Osgood)

Paula V. Smith, Vice Presdient for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College, 2008- (Osgood, Kington)

RG-DEV:  Development Office Records 1913-1990

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-DEV
  • Collection

The Development Office is responsible for the fund-raising operations of the college.  These records document its activities.

History & Background of the Office:

Perhaps the first donation to Grinnell College was in 1846 when J.J. Hill, one of the Iowa Band, made the gift of a silver dollar to challenge his colleagues to endow the College. Since that time, the College has been almost continually involved with fund-raising campaigns. In 1897 a Semi-Centennial Fund was established for enlarging the campus and for adding to the endowment. Four groups were targeted: alumni, trustees, faculty; citizens of Grinnell; Congregationalists of Iowa; and friends of education everywhere. Solicitations were sent out from the Semi-Centennial Committee.

In 1913 the Grinnell College Foundation was established to work with the Trustees of the College to manage and sell real estate, principally farm lands, given to the college under annuity plans. The Foundation financed men's and women's dormitories built in the second decade of the twentieth century. The College also had a number of endowment campaigns after the turn of the century. During the first half of the century, the College Treasurer and Business Officers were involved with development efforts, especially Louis V. Phelps (1915-49) and Charles Kaufman (1948-66). The fund-raising activities of the College were run by the administration, especially the President, and the Trustees for many years. In the late 1950s President Bowen hired the fund-raising counselling firm of Marts & Lundy to study the feasibility of raising substantial funds to meet the ongoing needs of the College. Then early in the 1960s, with the assistance of a matching grant from the Ford Foundation, the College hired its first, senior, fund-raising officer, John McFarland. From that time until 2005, development activities have been run from the Development Office. In 2005, the Development Office, the Alumni Office, and the Office of Communications and Events were combined under one Vice-President for College and Alumni Relations.

Development Officers:

1963-65 John R. McFarland, Jr. Vice President for Development 1966-66 Russell W. Fridely Vice President for Planning and Development 1966-71 James O. Avison Director of Development 1971-73 James O. Avison Vice President for Resources Planning 1973-76 James O. Avison Vice President for Institutional Development 1976-80 David L. Murphy Vice President for Development 1980-82 Richard T. Jenkins Vice President for Development 1982-92 Thomas K. Marshall Vice President for Development 1992-93 Michael S. Bever Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1994-96 E. Kevin Cornell Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1996-2001 Angela Voos Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 2001 - 2005 Todd A. Reding Vice President for Alumnit Relations and Development, 2005 - 2010 Mickey Munley, Vice President for College and Alumni Relations

RG-EV:  Evaluation and Planning 1971-1989

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-EV
  • Collection

The bulk of the collection is from the 1980s and consists of reports, memos, and statistical studies conducted by the Office of Evaluation & Planning (title varies, also called Office of Research & Evaluation in the late 1980s), primarily for the Admissions Office. Edward Barboni was director of the office 1981-87, Ruth Wheeler 1987-89. Katharine Guroff served part time some years during the early and middle 1970s as Institutional Researcher in the Office of the Dean, and a few of her studies are included

Results 1 to 15 of 23