Showing 27 results

Archival description
RG-S: Students Series
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Student Publications & Radio Committee (SPARC)

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-S-1.08
  • Series
  • 1963-1993
  • Part of RG-S: Students

SPARC oversees student publications and operations of the campus radio station. It serves under the President of the College and is comprised of students, faculty, and ex-officio members functioning in an advisory capacity. The committee is responsible for hiring media staff, budgeting, and oversight of daily media operations. Provenance: Brent Dexter, Chair of SPARC, after consultation with Dean of Students. December 1994.

Student Organization for Latinxs (SOL)

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-S-1.20
  • Series
  • 1995-2000
  • Part of RG-S: Students

SOL Mission Statement: To address the specialized needs of all Latino students by providing referrals, creating resource, developing leadership training, and supporting their unique cultural and social needs.

Their name was formerly Student Organization of Latinos/Latinas.

Student Government Association (SGA)

Members of the SGA transferred papers to the Archives at various times beginning in 1989. Generally the papers were in random order, many undated, in which case they are filed with adjacent papers. Some items may, thererfore, be incorrectly placed; this could be corrected by checking dates when events mentioned in the papers occurred, dates when named people (if any) were enrolled. The collection is arranged in approximate chronological order and by subject with original folder labels (plus dates) where possible.

Student Academic Projects: Alumni History Project

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-S-2.1
  • Series
  • 1981-1982
  • Part of RG-S: Students

Professor David Jordan organized and directed the project to gather historical information about the college, with special focus on alumni and the influence of Grinnell College on their lives. Students in Mr Jordan's seminars researched college history and conducted oral interviews with alumni who were within geographical areas interveiwers could reach or who came to alumni reunions. This collection consists of the tapes as well as typed transcripts of these interviews arranged alphabetically by alumni names.

Scarlet and Black

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-S-1.10
  • Series
  • 1972-1978
  • Part of RG-S: Students

The contents of this series include photographs and graphics used in the Scarlet and Black. Files are arranged chronologically. Provenance: Donated to the Archives by Tanya Hedges, 1996 yearbook editor, September, 1996.

Pub Club

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-S-1.07
  • Series
  • 1971-1986
  • Part of RG-S: Students

The Pub Club existed from 1973-1986 as a non-profit private club, located in Main basement adjacent to Gardner Lounge, having the "primary goal of providing a relaxed, social gathering place for members of the College community...providing a soft atmosphere with low-key entertainment... and serving beer and non-alcoholic beverages." Provenance: John Worley, 1988

Phi Beta Kappa. Beta of Iowa

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-S-1.02
  • Series
  • 1946-1988
  • Part of RG-S: Students

Grinnell College's chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was established on September 12, 1907.  As the second chapter authorized in the state, it is designated as Beta of Iowa.  This collection includes records, office files, correspondence, and other materials documenting the work of the chapter.  The bulk of the collection covers the dates 1946-1988.

Mortar Board Records

Historical Note: In February 1918 the Grinnell College Cap & Gown Society was organized; in 1937 it affiliated with Mortar Board and retained the name for its chapter name. The honor society is active on campus and in the community with service projects. Includes membership lists, annual reports, meeting minutes, information booklets, and correspondence. Provenance: Donated to the Archives late 1980s; and by Susan Ferguson in 1997.

KDIC Radio Station

The first radio station at Grinnell College, KGRW, started on December 6, 1948. It was an AM station that broadcast news, interviews, and popular and classical music. By 1961-62 the station needed better equipment, because their existing equipment was obsolete. KGRW also needed to upgrade to a FM frequency, because FM is more powerful and there is little interference. The station broadcast with a closed circuit. At one point, it broadcast illegally outside of campus, and lost its license, so the station had to return to the closed circuit system. Students living in Norris Hall could not listed to KGRW because the dormitory’s electrical wiring interfered with the station’s signal. Students appealed to the Board of Trustees for funding for the upgrade to FM, but the Board did not have the funds at that time. KGRW was shut down and there was no radio station on campus for the next six academic years. During the 1966-67 and 1967-68 years several students, headed by Babak Armajani ‘68, worked to start another station. They were successful, and KDIC began broadcasting on May 20, 1968.In the fall of 1968 KDIC broadcast 121 hours per week, and had eighty-five students on the staff. Forty of the staff were DJs. The station received news from UPI, outside newspapers, and campus reporters. Classical, jazz, rock, and folk music were played. In addition, there were special programs from Radio Netherlands, the French Radio System, and the PAN-American Union.   Content: Contains audio tapes of speeches, performances, symposia, and radio programs taped and/or broadcast by the student staff of the radio station during a time of active student political involvement on the Grinnell College campus. Of special note is the tape of Dean Joseph Wall at a community meeting discussing the proposal for closing the college early in the spring as a result of Kent State (5/8/70). Provenance: Donated to the Archives by Siclinda Canty-Elliott and KDIC staff, September 1998.   Processed by Leslie Czechowski and Emily Burke, September 1998.

Journalistic Fraternities

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-S-1.04
  • Series
  • 1919-1978
  • Part of RG-S: Students

Includes records of Sigma Delta Chi (men) and Theta Sigma Phi (women), journalistic organizations. Sigma Delta Chi, (1919-1978) professional men's journalistic fraternity, founded at DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana, 1909.  Grinnell Chapter of the national organization was formally installed January, 1919.  Theta Sigma Phi (1923-1973) was also called Women's Press Club, and Women in Communications). Received from Ruth Prescott, Associate Director of College Relations, 1978.

Results 1 to 15 of 27