Showing 15 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Grinnell College Libraries Special Collections Reed, Julius A. -- Correspondence Collection
Print preview View:

Early College History 1846-1918

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-A1
  • Collection

Consists of the early records of the founding of Iowa College, including correspondence by members of the Iowa Band, including Julius Reed;  financial records; articles of incorporation; annual reports; land deeds; and committee reports to the Board of Trustees.

Iowa College

Joseph F. "Joe" Wall Papers 1950-1988

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.08
  • Collection

Consists of holograph, typescript, and proofs of Joseph Wall's biography, Andrew Carnegie (1970), holograph and typescript of Henry Watterson: Reconstructed Rebel (1956), and of the page proof of Interpreting Twentieth-Century America (1973).  A small part of the collection includes some correspondence connected with Andrew Carnegie. Also included is a typescript of the Grinnell College Faculty Handbook (1969) and talks and memos concerning the Abler-Woodworth controversy of 1974.

Wall, Joseph Frazier

RG-AL:  Alumni Office Records

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-AL
  • Collection

Historical Note: The office has had various names:

Public Relations Office 1962-1967 and 1985-2001;

College Relations Office 1970-85;

Information Services ?-1962 and 1967-1970;

Office of Communication and Events 2001-2005

Office of College and Alumni Relations 2005-

Office of Development and Alumni Relations 2015 (?)-

History & Background of the Office:
Perhaps the first donation to Grinnell College was in 1846 when J.J. Hill, one of the Iowa Band, made the gift of a silver dollar to challenge his colleagues to endow the College. Since that time, the College has been almost continually involved with fund-raising campaigns. In 1897 a Semi-Centennial Fund was established for enlarging the campus and for adding to the endowment. Four groups were targeted: alumni, trustees, faculty; citizens of Grinnell; Congregationalists of Iowa; and friends of education everywhere. Solicitations were sent out from the Semi-Centennial Committee.
In 1913 the Grinnell College Foundation was established to work with the Trustees of the College to manage and sell real estate, principally farm lands, given to the college under annuity plans. The Foundation financed men's and women's dormitories built in the second decade of the twentieth century. The College also had a number of endowment campaigns after the turn of the century. During the first half of the century, the College Treasurer and Business Officers were involved with development efforts, especially Louis V. Phelps (1915-49) and Charles Kaufman (1948-66). The fund-raising activities of the College were run by the administration, especially the President, and the Trustees for many years. In the late 1950s President Bowen hired the fund-raising counselling firm of Marts & Lundy to study the feasibility of raising substantial funds to meet the ongoing needs of the College. Then early in the 1960s, with the assistance of a matching grant from the Ford Foundation, the College hired its first, senior, fund-raising officer, John McFarland. From that time until 2005, development activities have been run from the Development Office. In 2005, the Development Office, the Alumni Office, and the Office of
Communications and Events were combined under one Vice-President for College and Alumni Relations.

Development Officers:
1963-65 John R. McFarland, Jr. Vice President for Development 1966-66 Russell W. Fridely Vice President for Planning and Development 1966-71 James O. Avison Director of Development 1971-73 James O. Avison Vice President for Resources Planning 1973-76 James O. Avison Vice President for Institutional Development 1976-80 David L. Murphy Vice President for Development 1980-82 Richard T. Jenkins Vice President for Development 1982-92 Thomas K. Marshall Vice President for Development 1992-93 Michael S. Bever Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1994-96 E. Kevin Cornell Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1996-2001 Angela Voos Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 2001 - 2005 Todd A. Reding Vice President for Alumnit Relations and Development, 2005 - 2010 Mickey Munley, Vice President for College and Alumni Relations

RG-CH: Chaplain's Office 1960-2009

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-CH
  • Collection

The bulk of the materials are from Dennis Haas' tenure as chaplain with a few records from Roger Lee Eldridge's time. The files are generally in alphabetical order and contain chapel bulletins, budgets, and programs/speakers; files of college committees on which Haas served; files of liaison committees between the town and the college; numerous records of the Inner-City work study/seminar project from 1965-71; and historical information about Herrick Chapel and the people who used it.

In addition to attending to the religious needs of the college students, Grinnell College chaplains have been intimately and actively involved with social issues. Included in the collection are materials relating to Black students on the Grinnell campus, conscientious objectors and men seeking to avoid the draft, and an off-campus student coffeehouse. The Inner-City project may be an early example of Grinnell students caring for people less privileged than they and attempting to both learn about them and to assist them, much as students of the 1990s have participated in the I Have a Dream and the Alternative Break programs.

Grinnell College has had an active chapel program since the college began. In more modern times there was a dean of the chapel who functioned as chaplain. Winston L. King, also a professor of philosophy and religion, served from 1949-1962 and Howard Burkle, a professor of religion, was acting dean from 1958-60. In October 1963 Roger Lee Eldridge was installed as the first college chaplain, and he was succeeded in 1966 by Dennis Haas who served in that capacity until 1996. Both Eldridge and Haas were professors of religious studies. Deanna Shorb became chaplain upon Haas' retirement. Currently the Chaplain's Office is within the Office of Student Affairs; earlier in Mr. Haas' tenure it was independent and the chaplain reported to the president

RG-DEV:  Development Office Records 1913-1990

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-DEV
  • Collection

The Development Office is responsible for the fund-raising operations of the college.  These records document its activities.

History & Background of the Office:

Perhaps the first donation to Grinnell College was in 1846 when J.J. Hill, one of the Iowa Band, made the gift of a silver dollar to challenge his colleagues to endow the College. Since that time, the College has been almost continually involved with fund-raising campaigns. In 1897 a Semi-Centennial Fund was established for enlarging the campus and for adding to the endowment. Four groups were targeted: alumni, trustees, faculty; citizens of Grinnell; Congregationalists of Iowa; and friends of education everywhere. Solicitations were sent out from the Semi-Centennial Committee.

In 1913 the Grinnell College Foundation was established to work with the Trustees of the College to manage and sell real estate, principally farm lands, given to the college under annuity plans. The Foundation financed men's and women's dormitories built in the second decade of the twentieth century. The College also had a number of endowment campaigns after the turn of the century. During the first half of the century, the College Treasurer and Business Officers were involved with development efforts, especially Louis V. Phelps (1915-49) and Charles Kaufman (1948-66). The fund-raising activities of the College were run by the administration, especially the President, and the Trustees for many years. In the late 1950s President Bowen hired the fund-raising counselling firm of Marts & Lundy to study the feasibility of raising substantial funds to meet the ongoing needs of the College. Then early in the 1960s, with the assistance of a matching grant from the Ford Foundation, the College hired its first, senior, fund-raising officer, John McFarland. From that time until 2005, development activities have been run from the Development Office. In 2005, the Development Office, the Alumni Office, and the Office of Communications and Events were combined under one Vice-President for College and Alumni Relations.

Development Officers:

1963-65 John R. McFarland, Jr. Vice President for Development 1966-66 Russell W. Fridely Vice President for Planning and Development 1966-71 James O. Avison Director of Development 1971-73 James O. Avison Vice President for Resources Planning 1973-76 James O. Avison Vice President for Institutional Development 1976-80 David L. Murphy Vice President for Development 1980-82 Richard T. Jenkins Vice President for Development 1982-92 Thomas K. Marshall Vice President for Development 1992-93 Michael S. Bever Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1994-96 E. Kevin Cornell Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 1996-2001 Angela Voos Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations 2001 - 2005 Todd A. Reding Vice President for Alumnit Relations and Development, 2005 - 2010 Mickey Munley, Vice President for College and Alumni Relations

RG-EV:  Evaluation and Planning 1971-1989

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-EV
  • Collection

The bulk of the collection is from the 1980s and consists of reports, memos, and statistical studies conducted by the Office of Evaluation & Planning (title varies, also called Office of Research & Evaluation in the late 1980s), primarily for the Admissions Office. Edward Barboni was director of the office 1981-87, Ruth Wheeler 1987-89. Katharine Guroff served part time some years during the early and middle 1970s as Institutional Researcher in the Office of the Dean, and a few of her studies are included

RG-F:  Faculty and Staff

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-F
  • Collection

Papers and records of various faculty departments.

RG-L:  Library Records

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-L
  • Collection

Records of the libraries, including acquisitions, budgets, personnel, and buildings.

Grinnell College -- Libraries

RG-T: Treasurer's Office Records 1847-1980

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-T
  • Collection

Items in the Treasurer's Office record group span the years 1847-1980.  Records from the 19th Century (Series 1 and 4) consist chiefly of ledgers, journals, and donor lists.

Prior to 1887 the college had no office force, and a Trustee served as Treasurer (without salary). Several local bankers serves as treasurers and auditors during the Gates' administration, The first salaried Treasurer was H. H. Robbins.

H. H. Robbins, 1869, was Secretary and Treasurer of Iowa College 1887-1906, and was a Trustee 1890-1906. Prior to 1887 he was a Congregational minister and a railroad engineer. He was the son of Iowa Band Member A. B. Robbins, who was the first president of the Board.

H. W. Somers, 1882, became Business Manager and Secretary in 1907. His duties were to direct the financial and accounting system of the college and to direct fund raising. In 1916 his title changed to Secretary and Treasurer, and Louis Pyelps became Business Manager. Somers served until 1919.
Louis Phelps came as Business Manager in 1916, was college Treasurer 1919-1949. He was Secretary of the Grinnell College Foundation 1917-ca. 1954. Prior to coming to Grinnell he was a construction engineer, and was involved in construction of the women’s quadrangle 1914-1916.

Rupert Hawk, Treasurer, 1949-1956
Charles Kaufman served as Accountant 1942-1956 and as Treasurer 1956-1966
Donald Lambie, Treasurer, 1966-1972
Robert Anderson, Treasurer, 1972-1988
Waldo Walker, Treasurer, 1988-1990
David Clay, Treasurer, 1990-

From about 1913 to 1940 the college expanded its facilities dramatically.  Louis Phelps, College Treasurer 1919-1949, and Grinnell College Foundation Secretary 1917-ca.1954, preserved most of the papers which expedited the financing and construction of the dormitories and a few other buildings during this period.  Series 3-5 are from his files.

Providing on-campus dormitores for students was a new phenomenon in the early part of the twentieth century, and financing their construction called for considerable ingenuity.  Grinnell was a pioneer in this, and other colleges and universities studied the example.  One officer of the General Education Board, a Rockefeller philanthropy which contributed significantly to the College, praised President Main for pioneering in the social and educational experiment; another officer feared that war or pestilence might create serious problems in dormitories (RG-T, Ser. 3.4, folder 2, Phelps to Arnett, 6/22/30),.  The College Trustees created Grinnell College Foundation to raise the funds.  Details of their activities are in Series 6 and Series 3.4 of this record group.  Dormitory construction records are in Series 4.

Part of the financing involved owning, managing, and selling farms and other real estate.  Correspondence between Mr. Phelps and the farmers and farm managers (in series 5) records on a day-to-day basis the myriad problems farmers faced during the 1920s and 30s in the midwest.  Text books describe the agricultural situation, but this correspondence brings home what it was like to live and cope with falling market prices, crop diseases, pernicious weather patterns, and personal tragedies.  The correspondence includes such details as building and equipment repairs; livestock sales; plant and animal diseases; when to castrate the pigs; planting windbreaks; inability to get crops to market because of muddy roads; government farm assistance programs; trial planiting of the new hybrid corn seed.  Phelps was involved in all of these details.

RG-TR: Trustees of Iowa (Grinnell) College

  • US US-IaGG Archives/RG-TR
  • Collection

Consists of minutes of the Executive Committee of the Trustees, the Board of Trustees, the Finance Committee, and materials on the Fund for Excellence.

The cyclone of June 1882 destroyed the minutes of meetings of the Trustees of Iowa College. S. L. Herrick, Secretary of the Board, copied his records of meetings prior to that date.

William Salter Papers 1843-1907

  • US US-IaGG MS/MS 01.41
  • Collection

The collection contains letters written to Salter and notes written by Salter. The letters include both personal correspondence and that relating to his affairs: church business, business of Iowa College, Salter’s research into the history of the Dodge family, and a variety of other concerns. One letter of note is from James S. Graham in 1884 who recounts his experience watching President Lincoln while he reviewed the 68th Illinois Infantry Volunteers. Also included is a Saloon Passengers’ List and Track Card from an 1881 voyage on the S.S. Bolivia.

Salter, William