Grinnell College -- Libraries

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Grinnell College -- Libraries

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The Grinnell College Libraries started in 1853-54 with 1200 volumes. Faculty served as librarian beginning in 1862-63; the first, full-time librarian was hired in 1889. The Carnegie Library opened in 1905 and Burling Library was built in the late 1950s and renovated in the early 1980s.
Librarians of the College:
1849-1852 Erasmus Ripley
1851-1858 Henry L. Bullen
1858-1859 David S. Sheldon
1859-1860 Quincy Gilmore
1861-1863 Julius Reed
1863-1865 Von Coelln
1864-1872 S. J. Buck
1871-1872 John Avery
1872-1883 R. W. Swan (4500 vol.)
1883-1885 S. G. Barnes (10,000 vol.)
1885-1887 H. K. Edson
1886-1890 Carrie M. Edson
1889-1896 J. M. Chamberlain (first full-time librarian)
1896-1898 H. H. Stipp (24,000 vol.)
1898-1899 Cora W. Hastings
1899-1908 Matthew H. Douglass
1908-1919 L. L. Dickerson
1919-1952 Isabelle Clark
1952-1971 Henry Alden
1972-2006 Christopher McKee
2006- 2015 Richard C. Fyffe
2016 - Mark Christel


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places